Saturday, May 29, 2010

EtherPad Clones


Etherpad is a very interesting tool for collaboratively writing on the web without anyone having to register and set up accounts.  It has some wonderful features to make this easy but Google has decided to take it off-line.  But Google has allowed its code to be shared and so there are several clone sites appearing on the web.  Click here to see a list of clone sites.



One of the best clone sites that I have found and will experiment with in my teaching is TitanPad.com. This one seems to be hosted in Europe and they told me that they don't remove inactive documents.

What I like about this resource:
  • It is free to use.
  • There is no registration required.
  • It is simple to learn and use.
  • You can export to Word and other document formats.
  • It keeps track of all of the collaboration events and you can play them back.
What I plan to use this for in my teaching:
  • Brainstorming with my class or small groups.
  • Collaborating on writing notes.
  • Collaborative story writing.
  • Create worksheets ahead of time and work through them in class

2 comments:

Leon Cygman said...

Thanks for this post about cloud software and a link to its clones. It is a very simple but very useful collaboration tool.

Unknown said...

Hello Rod,

I have been researching for Etherpad alternatives and tried out Sync.in after a friend recommended it to me. I have been using it for a while and it works like a charm. I specially like the share with facebook feature whereby I can share my notes with my friends. It is available for free without any registration.

Do try it out here: http://sync.in